CADALSO DE LOS VIDRIOS
The term "de los Vidrios" refers to the glass industry that had great relevance from the fifteenth century until the early twentieth century. In the municipality there were stone and clay furnaces that manufactured high quality glass. Part of the glassware of the Royal Pharmacy of the Monastery of El Escorial is manufactured in Cadalso de los Vidrios.
Cadalso de los Vidrios enjoys a privileged natural environment, it is included in a Special Protection Area for Birds (SPA). To know better the municipal nature there is the possibility of making routes on foot, on horseback or by bicycle.
The artistic heritage of Cadalso has samples of great value. The Church of Nuestra Señora de la Asunción was begun in 1498 with part of the Arab wall of Cadalso. The church has a nave with four chapels, a sacristy -with a Herrerian style barrel vault- and a Renaissance baptismal font. The façade, dating from 1547, is also Renaissance. The Palace of Villena was built with stone ashlars in the 15th century and was a place of recreation and rest. In Renaissance style, it has 16th century gardens that are catalogued as an Asset of Cultural Interest. The Casa de los Salvajes or Casón de los Austrias is a manor house in Renaissance style. For its part, the Fuente de los Álamos has Muslim origins and is an old spring that forms a well over which a stone construction is built.
More information: Cadalso de los Vidrios