Convent of the
Discalced Trinitarian Nuns
LINE
1
Antón Martín
Church: 17th century - Convent: 18th century
Church: Marcos López, José López, José Arroyo and Miguel Chocarro.
Convent: Francisco and Juan Ruiz

Church: declared Property of Cultural Interest on 17th September 1921
Convent: declared Property of Cultural Interest on 11th November 1943

The foundation of the convent dates back to 1609 and is attributed to Francisca Romero Gaytán although it was not until 1612 when it was built on its current site. The present church was constructed between 1673 and 1698, whilst the convent, guest and chaplain quarters were built between 1718 and 1752.

The history of the building is closely linked to the life of Miguel de Cervantes, who is buried there, and the Order was responsible for his liberation when he was captive in Algiers. Unfortunately, the exact place where his remains were buried is unknown due to the many different interventions that have been undertaken in the building.

It is a plain building, characteristic of convent architectural design in seventeenth century Madrid. The church has a Latin cross layout with one nave, adorned with important Baroque reredos which leads onto a square courtyard which gives access to the different rooms of the convent. The façades are built with the traditional combination of exposed brickwork and granite plinths which were typical in the area during the Baroque period.

The convent and church have undergone many different restorations as well as the artworks that make up its artistic heritage since the Autonomous Community of Madrid took charge of the region’s historical heritage. The first interventions took place in 1988, and later, between 2001 and 2003, the reredos and two paintings were restored.

More recently, in 2010, the problems arising from the damp were solved and the elements on the roof that were loose and in danger of falling were repaired, cracks were filled and others elements that had disappeared were re-built. During this process, a series of typically Baroque mural paintings (trompe l’oeil) were discovered that had been covered up by newly-built elements and restorations in the nineteenth and twentieth centuries.
Useful Information
Visitas grupos previa cita

914295671

Free entrance.

Nearby Monuments

Royal Botanical Garden

Sorry, this entry is only available in Español.

Sorry, this entry is only available in Español.

Sorry, this entry is only available in Español.

Sorry, this entry is only available in Español.

Sorry, this entry is only available in Español.