Spring is here, and feel like going out, enjoy the rising temperatures and make different plans to escape the daily routine. Below we suggest you 14 ideas that invite you share with friends, family, couples, or alone. Getaways, magical sunsets, culture, nature and much more. It's up to you!
1. Located in the Cuartel de la Montaña Park, very close to the Plaza de España in the capital city, is located the Templo de Debod, a temple from the 2nd century BC, which the Egyptian government gave to the city of Madrid. From its viewpoint, you can witness one of the most magical sunsets in the region, thanks not only to the impressive views of the city, but also to a wonderful colour palette that merges with the clouds, turning the sunset into a spectacle worth seeing.
2. Nearby, in the well-known Parque del Oeste, is located the 'Rosaleda', which was designed in 1955 by Ramón Ortiz, the former gardener of the city council, and houses nearly 20,000 specimens of more than 600 different varieties of modern roses. We propose you to visit this green space, whose ponds surrounded by vegetation, will make the visit a pleasant walk.
3. If you like heights, we suggest you see the city almost from a bird's-eye view from the famous 'Mirador de Moncloa', an old lighting tower. Thanks to the panoramic elevators, you will ascend to 92 meters of height that separate from the ground to the viewpoint to contemplate such important monuments as the Royal Palace or the Cathedral, and always in the background, the Sierra de Guadarrama. A real experience!
4. If you want more, as soon as the restoration work on the Cibeles Palace have finished, don't miss its spectacular 360º viewpoint, with which you can see the urban landscape of Madrid. You know what they say.... from Madrid, to heaven!
5. Before leaving the capital, don't forget to visit the Casa de Campo. At this time of the year, when the temperatures start to rise, feel like enjoy the outdoors by bike or simply walking, to enjoy the beauty of the environment, and why not, improvise a fun picnic with friends or family.
6. Nature lovers will find in the Madrid town of Soto del Real, infinite possibilities to enjoy in depth, as the la 'Guía Verde Caminos y Senderos Tradicionales' (Green Guide to Traditional Paths and Walways) offers interesting routes of various difficulties, adapted to all types of public, with which you will enjoy a wide variety of landscapes. An authentic privileged environment, full of fauna, streams and, of course, fresh air in the middle of the mountains.
7. Along the same lines, we suggest you to stay tunned the Hoyo de Manzanares website, since it is here that the Ponds of La Berzosa and the Ponds of Los Camorchos are located, the latter recently included in the National Wetlands Catalogue. The City Council organizes interesting guided tours to enjoy the 'awakening of the amphibians' that takes place in spring. An ideal plan for the whole family!
8. In the town of San Martín de Valdeiglesias, don't miss the Bosque Encantado (Enchanted Forest), a botanical garden that houses 500 types of plants and 300 plant sculptures, representing shapes as diverse as a dragon, an elephant or a locomotive.
9. Below we propose you a trip back in time to two World Heritage sites. On the one hand, Aranjuez on board its historic 'Strawberry Train' where children and adults will have a great time. A different trip where you can choose from five options depending on what you want to visit once you arrive at your destination. During the trip, the staff dressed in period costumes will offer us a tasting of strawberries.
10. On the other hand, go to San Lorenzo de El Escorial on another historic train, the 'Felipe II' train. A unique opportunity to soak up history through its tourist packages that will allow you to visit the Royal Monastery, the gardens or the Basilica of the Royal Site, always accompanied by characters of the time.
11. Below we propose you two getaways to two medieval villas. Our first stop will be in Buitrago del Lozoya. This town, located in the Middle Valley of Lozoya, is surrounded by a medieval wall, and next to interesting examples of historical heritage, also offers us the possibility of enjoying nature with its hiking trails.
12. We leave this town to explore Torrelaguna, our second destination, which despite its medieval structure, is home to the most varied historical complex, combining the most superb Gothic with the Baroque, Plateresque or Neoclassical. Lose yourself in its streets and enjoy its beauty. As before, the area has great scenic beauty, so you can take advantage of it to explore the area through its routes, horseback ride the area or simply breathe fresh air.
13. I'm sure that now, you're already a little hungry... well, don't worry, because we also have a gastronomic suggestion. Although autumn is an ideal time to explore the Sierra del Rincón, spring was not going to be any less. Do not miss their culinary proposals in which you will find mountain products that will be the basis of delicious stews and traditional dishes.
14. Our latest proposal will take you to different European capitals without leaving the Region of Madrid. How? We move to Torrejón de Ardoz, because there is where the famous 'Parque Europa' is located. Along with its green spaces, its multi-adventure areas, and even its large lake, you will find up to 17 miniature replicas of some of the most important monuments. Are you going to miss it?